3.06.2014

Spread the Word

So I'm sitting here in my living room working on a paper that's due tomorrow, which I've spent over 25 HOURS on in the past few weeks (I better get an A!) when I notice outside a red car has stopped in the middle of the road.  I look to see what's going on and watch a man get out of his car and approach the car behind him.  He proceeds to yell every curse word I've ever heard (and some I haven't) at the woman behind him for 'cutting him off'.  It's 'F this' and 'F that' and he's making all kinds of obscene gestures and motions at this poor Chinese girl who looks about 18 years old.

I get very scared for her but finally he starts to head back to his car and then turns around and comes back.  Now I'm terrified for her.  I'm praying he doesn't have a gun.  He continues to yell at her some more calling her every sexist and racial slur in the book that obviously have nothing to do with the situation.  Then he finally gets back in his car and drives off.  I'm practically shaking in my apartment and I see the girl proceed to slowly back into a space on the street.  She wasn't cutting him off...she was just trying to get a parking spot on this busy street, minding her own business.  And even if she did cut him off, I bet you she didn't mean anything by it.  She definitely didn't deserve to be yelled at and called terrible things that had nothing to do with anything other than his desire to make her feel horrible and insignificant.

I bet she will be feeling bad about herself for the rest of the day, maybe the whole weekend.  I know I would  be crying if that happened to me.  I always cut people off or do dumb things when I'm driving only because I'm lost most of the time and trying to find my way!  I never intentionally do things out of impatience or selfishness, they just sort of happen.  And I bet that's the way a lot of drivers are.  You have no idea why that person may have cut you off.  Maybe they just came from the hospital where their mother or spouse or child died and they're just not paying attention.  Did you ever stop to think that they have enough to deal with in their lives that pissing you off is not on their agenda?  Why can't people just be nice to each other for the heck of it and give people a break?

Maybe all this anger inside me is coming from something else.  I read this article yesterday about one woman's experience in the world of human trafficking.  Now, I have known and understood for quite some time (having been in a documentary on the subject, Nefarious: Merchant of Souls) that human trafficking does indeed exist in the United States.  Even though I am aware of this fact, I guess I never really comprehended it.  I can't really wrap my head around the idea that young girls my age and younger (as young as 7 years old!) are being kidnapped, hidden, and kept locked away for years tortured as sex slaves for most (if not all!) of their lives!!!  HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?!?!?  Who allows this to happen???  How can we prevent it?  What can I do to save a 7 year old girl from being raped by 12 men in a row day after day after day.  Yes, this happens.  Below is a link to the article and I encourage you (though it's a VERY tough read) to read it so that maybe if more people are aware of the real inhumanity that is happening right here in the United States, that slavery STILL exists for many young, innocent girls, then maybe, just maybe, we can find a solution to end it.  Because while your life may be hard right now, I can't even imagine what a day in the life of one of these poor girls is like.  I am praying for each and every one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment