12.30.2018

Potty Training: Day Two


Day Two started out a little rough but ended with a bang!  Here's how the day went...

When Clark woke up, Mark took his diaper off and tried to get him to sit on the potty.  He was not having it!  The author warned this would happen.  Day One is all fun and games but Day Two they realize you're serious about this and the fun is over!

After he finally got Clark to sit on the potty, he waited and waited but Clark never peed.  Finally, he let Clark get up and minutes later Clark peed on the floor on top of his police car!  He was not happy about that.  I was in bed while all of this was going on and heard Mark say, "Clark!  You were just on the potty, why didn't you pee in the potty??"  But this scenarios is so common for this early in the game.  They are still learning to relax on the potty and often they won't be able to go and will go almost immediately upon getting up.

So then, I got up and got ready for church.  Mark got Clark dressed and told him he still wouldn't have a diaper because he needed to pee and poop in the potty but he would have pants on.  They ate breakfast and I fed Dylan and then left for church to teach my lesson.  Upon returning from church, Mark informed me Clark still hadn't peed!  It was noon and that first pee was around 7:30 am.  We really have a camel on our hands.


So when I got home, Mark was feeding Dylan lunch.  I took over and started to tell him people had asked for him at church.  We got into a conversation and completely forgot about Clark.  Well, you guessed it.  Accident.  Suddenly Mark said, "Clark, you peed!"  Clark was standing in the kitchen in a puddle of pee.  I was so upset!  Not at Clark but at us.  We totally could have prevented that accident!  Day Two and we're already forgetting to watch him for signs...especially since we knew he hadn't gone in almost 5 hours!!  Of course, he was going to go any minute and we should have been watching for signs.

I blamed Mark and said, "I was feeding Dylan lunch, you were supposed to be watching him!"  to which Mark said, "No, I was feeding him lunch!  I thought you were watching him!"  Honestly, I had completely forgotten about watching him.  Going to church had taken me out of my potty training mindset and poor Mark had been watching him for hours so of course, he thought I could give him a break.  I completely overreacted about the whole thing, mostly because I was mad at myself.

But then, we did it again!  An hour or less later, we got distracted and Clark was riding Dylan's car in circles around the house.  Suddenly, we heard him call from the living room, "I wet!" and I came running to find him standing in another puddle.  Again, I got so mad at myself!  I don't even know what we were doing.  I guess I didn't think he would go again so soon.  Clearly, we weren't making him the sole focus of Day Two, where he had been in Day One.

Then we started to think maybe we had put pants on too soon and now he felt comfortable going in them, like a diaper.  Mark gave him a shower and then it was time for his nap.  We decided to try taking the pants back off the rest of the day.  The author calls this "handing your child success" (going back and forth between blocks) and recommends trying it if they seem to be having issues with the next block but you don't want to completely backtrack.  This is when things started to turn around.


Clark's sticker chart!
After his nap,  Clark woke up dry and peed in the potty!  Then we put pants on him so he could get out for a walk around the block.  No accidents!  The rest of the day we kept the pants off and he didn't have a single accident.  We were so proud of him!!  Then, after Clark was all ready for bed, he climbed up onto the top bunk bed in his room and Mark noticed him trying to push to go poop.  He immediately went and put him on the potty and he POOPED!!!  YAY!!!!

This isn't the first time Clark has pooped in the potty but he hasn't done it in a long time.  Mark said he did it so quick and it was a BIG one.  Thank goodness Mark was watching his signs and got him there in time.  It was an awesome end to Day Two!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment