4.12.2020

Potty Training Dylan: Days 4-6

So once we added pants, Dylan's progress came to an immediate halt.  We started keeping the pants off but even naked, he was just refusing to sit on the potty, especially when we saw signs that he really needed to go!  If he sat down at all, it was only for 5-10 seconds and he wouldn’t pee but then would have an accident moments later.  Or if we gave him a phone or put on a favorite show of his, he would sit forever but still wouldn’t pee.  Except one time I let him sit and watch a show for over an hour while I was working and when I finally let him get off he had peed but neither of us had even noticed.  He just was really resisting the potty and wasn’t going even if we tricked him into sitting on it.

We learned Dylan is really good at holding his pee!  He would have a few dribbles sometimes but mostly he would hold his pee (and poop) until the second we put a pull-up on him for nap and night.  The book says this is a great sign and shows that your child is well on his way to being potty trained.  We were still feeling really discouraged though.  Day 6 was super rough for me.  I let the boys go outside and so I put pants on Dylan and almost as soon as we went outside, he was riding his bike and I saw him look down and knew he had peed.  I tried to get him to sit on the potty to finish but he just refused.  He didn’t even want me to take his wet pants off!  I can be stubborn too so I let Clark go inside but wouldn’t let Dylan go in until he peed in the potty.  Then he started playing in the mud so now he was covered in mud and pee.  I was disgusted by him and didn’t even care anymore.  I told Mark we should just let him live outside and bring him food & water like a dog, haha!  After an hour of staying outside and still refusing to sit on the potty I finally hosed him down outside and the water was freezing, which I felt bad about later but he was so gross!  Then we came inside, had lunch, and he got a pull-up for nap.

So at this point we were starting to feel really unsure about the whole thing, thinking maybe Dylan wasn't ready.  Waiting until 30 months was starting to sound really tempting but I was just determined to do it now while we were stuck at home.  With this method, you can't really leave the house for very long for the first month and with my parties and Clark's activities (SPARK, Music class, playgroup) there really wasn't going to be another time we could do it, at least not as convenient as this.  So we decided to stick it out a little longer and we are so glad we did!!  Day 7 was amazing!!!  Stay tuned.

Sorry no pictures, we've been too busy watching Dylan like a hawk to take any!  But here's a cute video of the boys sharing a popsicle!


No comments:

Post a Comment