1.26.2014

Love...

What is it really?  Does it change?  Do we see different kinds and levels of it?  Why does it seem like there is never enough of it to go around?  Catherine and I are in love.   There is no other way to describe the force that pulls us together and makes us want to be near each other every waking moment.  For some reason, in this world we live in today, many think of this as a young love.  The love that lasts in newlyweds lasts only for a short time, but why is that?  Why is it that "lasting love" requires the compromise of work and hobbies and sports and movies and girlfriends and bros and so on and so forth?  Why is it that in the world we live in today the ideas of the important from the unimportant are so cloudy and faded that the importance of family is hard to see?  I have heard the advice that couples need to make sure that they have given each other enough space that they can both accomplish their carreers and do the things they want to do in life.  But really, in they end, all the fame, education, promotions, and accomplishments will be water under the bridge.  No matter if I'm a doctor saving a life or the maid cleaning up in the hospital, it is not worth it if I have no time for my family.  I don't care how much I accomplish in life as far as work goes. If my family doesn't know they always came first in my life, what is really the point?  Now, is it really still possible to have the life I want?  Is it possible to live in a nice home with a white picket fence without selling my soul to my job?  Is it still possible to give my family the time and attention it deserves?  I believe it is.  I believe it comes down to the fact that we all need to stand up for ourselves and take hold of our lives.  I have seen too many families fall apart because one or both parties involved are more commited to other things in life rather than each other.

I knew that Catherine and I were right for each other when we both realized we cared more about talking to each other than doing anything else in life.  I need someone I care about more than anything else.  I want to want to come home from work.  I want to be excited for every moment I get to hold her in my arms.  She became my best friend in 6 months and my eternal companion in a year and a half.  I will always have her with me and I plan on making my life one in which I can be with her as much as possible.  My life choices will be based out of how it will allow me the quality time I desire with my family.  I may leave some money on the table and some wonderful job opportunities may fly by but in the end it would all be tedious if it took away from my sweet Catherine.

So what really is love?  It is the desire with every fiber of my being to bring happiness to someone else.  The people we love are those that we want to spend all of our time with.  I love you Catherine.

No comments:

Post a Comment