7.13.2016

summer bbq's + cousin time with Clark

ever since my dad got his new grill, barbecues have become a regular weekend occurrence over here.  you name it, we grill it.  we always do the traditional hamburgers and hot dogs but lately my dad's been really into bratwurst with peppers and onions along with sweet potatoes and this delicious cilantro cream sauce with chimichurri.  we also do almost any kind of vegetable you can think of and I think he said he was going to try mango next time!

over the weekend, the other Masters came out to join in on the grilling action...and spend some quality time with baby Clark.  AnnMarie and George were fascinated by him.  George had so many questions: "why do you have to burp him?" "when will you burp him?" "how long do you burp him?" "have you burped him yet?" (maybe he was just fascinated by all things burping! hahaha) and AnnMarie just wanted to hold his hand, touch his hair, rub his tummy and was so excited to get to hold him!  she said to me, "now I know why your mom is in love with this baby!"


AnnMarie asked her dad on the way over if I would be different now that I was a mom.  I'm not sure if I'm that different but my life definitely is!  when everyone arrived I was feeding Clark in the nursery (topless because Clark had spit up on me) and I heard George and AnnMarie running up the stairs to see baby Clark.  I heard Mark racing up behind them and just as George started to turn the doorknob, Mark caught up to them and told them Clark was eating right now.  George didn't see why that mattered and I heard Mark say "do you know how he eats?" before they all went into the game room and Mark distracted them with video games.

after eating, Clark was really good for the first few hours.  he laid peacefully in daddy's arms while AnnMarie played with my hair :)  after that, I wore him around the house for a bit while people were cooking, snacking and hanging out.  I started to think maybe things wouldn't really be that different with a baby!


but eventually the witching hour struck (5 pm) and while Mark and AnnMarie were setting up Clue, I headed into my parents' bedroom to feed Clark.  then everyone went swimming but baby Clark was still eating.  I could hear them yelling "Marco!" "Pollo!" outside and and splashing away while I was cooped up inside.  when everyone was sitting down to eat, Clark finally fell asleep and I ran to make my plate but the moment I sat down he began fussing again.

luckily, I have the best mom ever.  she immediately got up to get him so I could eat.  anytime I'm eating and the baby starts fussing, my mom holds him, even if she's in the middle of eating too!  she is so selfless.  the other night we all sat down to watch Zootopia (loved it!).  Mark and I were on the couch and my dad and baby Clark were on my parents' bed while my mom stood up (apparently, Clark had taken her spot).  Mark and I were thinking it was so wonderful that Clark was being so good in the movie when we looked over and Clark and my mom had disappeared.  she had taken him out of the room and was doing her usual walking around the house with him to keep him calm.  then he had fallen asleep and she was just sitting out there with him, not wanting to move and wake him.  talk about sacrificing for your children...and grandchildren.  I wonder if I will ever be as good of a mom as that someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment