I have been dreading this test pretty much my entire pregnancy. I remember reading about it in my birth club at the start of my pregnancy and all the horror stories of how gross the stuff you have to drink is when you're already nauseous! I read about the best flavor to pick if you have a choice, how you should request it be cold and if possible, take the stuff at home before you get there so you can mentally prepare yourself. well, as life would have it, I was able to do none of that!
after my prenatal appointment, they sent me over to the lab to take the test. I had known I would be taking it today so I just had two hard boiled eggs for breakfast. they warned against drinking juice or eating anything with sugar in it so I steered clear. I was a little worried though because I finished the eggs in the waiting room at my appointment and it only lasted about half an hour so I had literally just finished eating right before I took the test. I was all mad at myself, especially after reading forums where people said you should fast even though they say you don't have to because you will fail the test otherwise and the 3 hour test is the WORST! ahhh!
well, I arrived at the lab, signed in, and let them know I was there for the glucose test. the lady opened a drawer and pulled out a small bottle with clear liquid in it (looked like a water bottle). she told me I had three minutes to drink it and then I'd have to wait an hour before the test. she advised to take lots of deep breaths while I was drinking it because some people throw up! also, I wasn't allowed to leave the waiting room before the test...so what happened if I needed to throw up? I was terrified!
after she handed me the bottle, she told me to get drinking! right there, while she was still inputting my insurance! I figured it was probably best to do it quick and not think about it anyway so I took my first sip. it wasn't that bad! it honestly tasted like an off brand of sprite but a little sweeter and thicker. that was the first sip...after about 10 more sips, I started to feel sick. I had to mentally chant things to myself to keep drinking it. I wasn't sure if it was all in my head because of everything I had read or if it really was that bad but I was so happy when I finished it! I figured the worst was over and I went to wait.
I was doing pretty good for the first half hour. then I don't know what happened but I started to feel awful! I felt nauseous, dizzy, exhausted and short of breath. I really just wanted to take a walk but I wasn't allowed to leave. I had brought all kinds of things to do to keep myself busy...my dayplanner, journal, pregnancy books, but it took all my concentration just to sit there and not throw up or pass out. finally, they called my name and I went to have my blood drawn. the whole thing was over in less than 5 minutes and I was so relieved!
but on the drive home I again started feeling terrible! I think it was partly from not having enough food in me and just having my blood drawn but nothing sounded good to eat! I drove straight home (luckily it's only about a 10 minute drive), threw all my clothes off because I felt like I couldn't breathe and just laid in bed. I spent the rest of the day taking it super easy and forced myself to eat an almond butter and banana sandwich with a glass of milk.
the next day I got a voicemail letting me know they had my results. I was so scared!!! what if I failed the test? I mean, I really didn't think I had diabetes but I read about a whole bunch of people saying they failed it because they ate right before and they had to take the three hour test and kept throwing up and had a miserable experience all to find out they did not have diabetes! I decided if it came out positive I would just refuse to re-take the test again and demand they find out some other way! well, turns out I do NOT have diabetes but I AM anemic!!!
I had no idea what that meant so I quickly asked all kinds of questions. she told me I don't have enough iron in my blood because the baby takes it all and so I have to take iron supplements twice a day for the rest of my pregnancy! she said that having anemia makes you really tired and dizzy...other symptoms include increased heart rate, shortness of breath and just feeling weak in general. that pretty much describes me perfectly this past month! it's been awful and I was wondering why I am always so tired and sleeping all the time!!
so hopefully with these supplements I will be able to get back to my old chipper self and get my energy back! and to those of you pregnant people who still have to take the dreaded glucose test...may the force be with you!

No comments:
Post a Comment